The herbarium of vascular plants, i.e. fern allies and seed plants, comprises about 2 million vouchers and is divided into a Nordic and an Extranordic collection, respectively.
The Nordic herbarium is very exhaustive. About half of the collection has been digitized, including all pteridophytes and gymnosperms.
The Extranordic herbarium has been enriched with vascular plants from the whole world through research expeditions and extensive exchange with international herbaria. The collections from the Mediterranean region are the most extensive with, for example, more than 120 000 vouchers from Greece. Almost all Greek vascular plants have been registered and georeferenced through collaboration with Flora Hellenica.
Pioneer collections by L. Preiss in Western Australia and K. Th. Hartweg in Latin America are of particular value. Paul Sintenis' personal herbarium with more than 100 000 vouchers, perhaps half of which from Turkey, is one of the largest and most valuable individual collections.
The herbarium of vascular plants is presently searched for all type material, which is transferred to a separate type herbarium. The types are registered and the information continuously added to the main database. Simultaneously, all types are scanned to further increase the availability.
The Acharius Herbarium and the Retzius Herbarium mainly contain vascular plants collected during the 18th and early 19th century. These two herbaria include, among other, more than 1300 type specimens. Both collections are already completely databased.
- Rolf Dahlgren (1932-1987) the South African genus Aspalathus.
- Thore C. E. Fries (1886-1930) southern Africa.
- C. E. Gustafsson (1868-1939) the genus Rubus.
- J. O. Hagström (1860-1922) the genus Potamogeton.
- Karl Theodor Hartweg (1812-1871) Colombia, Ecuador, Guatemala, Mexico, California.
- Otto R. Holmberg (1874-1930) Scandinavia, Azerbaijan, Georgia.
- Björn Holmgren (1872-1946) southern Sweden.
- Reinhold Matsson (1870-1938) the genus Rosa.
- Svante Murbeck (1859-1946) Bosnia, North Africa, the genus Verbascum.
- L. M. Neuman (1852-1922) Scandinavia.
- L. Preiss (1811-1883) Western Australia.
- Anders Jahan Retzius (1742-1821)
- Hans Runemark (1927-2014) Greece.
- Paul Sintenis (1847-1907) Central Europe, Cyprus, Greece, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Puerto Rico.
- Sven Snogerup (1929-2013) Greece.
- Richard Spruce (1817-1893) Brazil, Ecuador, Peru, Venezuela.
- Henning Weimarck (1903-1980) southern Sweden, Zimbabwe.
Telephone: 046-222 89 66
E-mail: Ulf.Arup [at] biol.lu.se